Softball team drops all five games

The Eastern softball team could not get it figured out this weekend as they dropped all five contests at the Troy Classic.

Eastern gave up a lot of runs and did not score a lot either, leading to two run-rule games. The Panthers lost to McNeese State 11-1 and Ole Miss 8-0. Eastern stayed in it with both teams the first time around losing just 4-3 and 4-2.

The Panthers trailed by four runs all game in the first game against McNeese State, but a three-run homerun by senior outfielder April Markowski almost got the Panthers back into the game, but it was not enough.

Sophomore pitcher Jessica Wireman was charged with three out of the four runs, one run was unearned. Wireman struck out four, and walked four batters.

Tournament host Troy took down the Panthers 13-6 in the second game of the weekend. Markowski and senior shortstop Katie Watson were the main run producers in the game. Markowski drove in two and Watson brought home three runners. Freshman Jennifer Ames also had an RBI. Markowski’s two RBI’s came by way of a homerun in the fourth inning. Ames homered in the fifth inning.

Eastern had a 5-1 lead heading into the bottom of the fifth inning but that is when Troy ran away with the game.

Sophomore Michelle Rogers started the game on the mound and gave up five earned runs. Wireman could not stop the scoring, and she gave up five more runs and suffered the loss.

The Panthers had another lead at the end of the fourth inning but allowed Ole Miss to tie it in the third game of the weekend. Ole Miss got two runs in the top of the seventh, which won the game. Eastern did not score in the bottom half.

Wireman went all seven innings and took the loss. But she did strikeout six batters and allowed six hits.

Things did not go the Panthers’ way in the final two games, as they were run-ruled in both games. Including one shut out to Ole Miss, who they almost beat the day before.

The Panthers will be back at it next weekend at the UT Chattanooga Frost Classic in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]