Jazz combos preps for Doudna theatre performance

File Photo

The Vanguard Sextet plays “Take the A Train” written by Billy Strayhorn and arragned by Cark Terry during the EIU Jazz Combos concert on Feb.19, 2015

Sam Nusbaum, Staff Reporter

The sound of saxophones, clarinets and other instruments shall be sounding off again in Doudna playing classic songs from the likes of Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder and more.

The Doudna Fine Arts Center will be putting on its jazz combos on Thursday at the Doudna Fine Arts Center’s Theater.

The combos by the Eastern Jazz Studies program feature around 50 students who have been filtered into one of the two jazz ensembles or one of the three combos.

Music professor Paul Johnston is a coach for the combos along with music professor Nick Tucker. Johnston said each combo practices twice each week.

“We spend this time playing music together, practicing improvisation and crafting arrangements for the group,” Johnston said.

Johnston is coaching two of the combos and said that the students have been practicing their pieces since the beginning of this semester. He also said students figured out where they would be based on auditions they held last fall even though they have been performing around campus and the community.

Daniel Crews, the director of patron services, said that the combos would be held in the Theater.

“These concerts have always been held in the Theater due to its size in seating capacity (275 seats) and it is the best venue for sound in regards to performing jazz,” said Crews.

Crews also said these events usually have a good turnout, with his estimate being that between 70 and 80 percent of the venue will be filled. There was some times where the theater is completely filled.

The news brief said the Notre Dame jazz festival and North Texas Jazz festival have recognized Eastern jazz ensembles as well as other jazz festivals across the region for their playing and hard work. Johnston confirmed this and said the ensembles have done will in the past.

“In the past, student groups have been invited to participate in these festivals,” Johnston said. “They give students a chance to perform, get feedback from other musicians, and hear other collegiate groups.”

Crews said that the combos have gotten a warm reception from both the student body and Charleston communities.

“These concerts draw a strong audience from the local community as well as the campus community…and not just music students but students from a variety of study areas,” said Crews.

According to the news brief, he groups will perform classic jazz works and new jazz compositions as well. Student musicians that do well will be featured in playing the music of Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis and Stevie Wonder, the brief also said.

The combos start at 7:30 and are free of charge to both the Eastern and Charleston community.

Sam Nusbaum can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]