Search continues for the Miss Black EIU 2016 emcee

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

With the 45th annual Miss Black EIU pageant on the way, coordinators are on the lookout for two emcees for the show at their auditions Thursday.

The auditions will take place at 5:30 p.m. at 7th Street Underground located in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Tiyaji Williams, a junior communication studies major, and Dionte McWillis, a senior history major were last year’s emcees. McWillis said hosting the pageant gave him a chance to learn the history of it and why it is prominent on campus.

McWillis said one of his fraternity members hosted the first Miss Black and their roles as emcees play a huge part in the show.

“A lot goes into emceeing, it’s more important than people think,” McWillis said.

Over the years, McWillis said he has emceed around eight shows and Williams said she has hosted around 20 shows.

Williams said those who tryout should go in good spirits and be themselves. She said being yourself helps out because co-hosts need to balance each other out, with one being a tad more serious than the other.

“They should be able to make the crowd have fun at the show,” Williams said.

Phil Love a senior political science major auditions to model for the African Student Association’s fashion show on Tuesday in the Casey Room of the Martin Luther King Jr University Union.

Williams said her personality is probably what got the judges’ attention at her audition.

“I’m not nervous, I’m not scared to be in front of a crowd and nobody makes me feel uncomfortable,” Williams said. “ I believe in myself, regardless of who I’m in front of.”

McWillis said a lot of improvisation goes into hosting a show, so much so that the judges ask the candidates to do a piece on the spot while auditioning.

“I keep my composure while everyone is stressing backstage,” McWillis said. “You have to know how to do damage control. Don’t let the crowd know that you’re messing up because they don’t know what’s supposed to happen.”

McWillis said the best thing about hosting a show is getting feedback from the audience. He said being able to make the crowd laugh or keep them engaged is a major plus.

“I start the night off with a joke about myself so I’ll relax,” McWillis said.

Tionna Alderson, the reigning Miss Black EIU, said the committee wants to find someone who can help make the pageant even better.

“It’s one thing to watch what they’re doing and it’s another thing to have somebody explain it to you,” Alderson said. “They can explain the history of the pageant and why it’s important.”

“We want the perfect emcee for the 45th,” Alderson said. “This is a very big year for Miss Black EIU.”

Alderson said those who want to audition should come expecting to read a script and use improvisation all while letting their personality shine through their tryout.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]