City Council voting on amending alcohol ordinance

Lynnsey Veach, City Editor

The city council will look at amending an ordinance on Alcoholic beverages at their meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Charleston City Hall.

At the meeting the council will be looking at amending Ordinance Title 3, Chapter 3: Alcoholic Beverages, specifically alcohol permits.

One of these amendments is to change the part of the Ordinance that says “No person shall hereafter engage in the business as a retailer of any alcoholic liquor within one hundred feet of any undertaking establishment or mortuary.”

The amendment states “the distance of one hundred feet shall be measured from building to building and not to property boundaries.”

Another resolution to be proposed on the agenda is authorizing the destruction of audio or video recordings of closed session meetings.

The third resolution on the agenda will be approving agreement with the Illinois Department of Revenue for an Alcohol Enforcement Pilot Program, with the staff recommendation of waiving the layover period and approving the program.

According to the agenda, a new ordinance making new stop intersections at 5th street and Van Buren Avenue are in the best interest of the community.

According to the ordinance, it will be unlawful to drive any vehicle into the intersection of Fifth street and Van Buren Avenue without first bringing the vehicle to a full stop.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #1592 has submitted a raffle license application so they can raise funds for the benefit of the community and local veterans.

According to the raffle license application form, tickets will be sold at the VFW and personal pawnshop starting Jan. 10 and will end when the tickets run out.

The Eastern Illinois University Police Department submitted the second raffle license application form.

According to the raffle license application form, the raffle will be Jan. 27 through March 9, tickets will be sold in order to support fraternal order and raise awareness through police work.

The tickets will be sold on Eastern’s campus and the surrounding area, with the winners to be announced at the Eastern Police Department on 5 p.m. on March 9.

Mayor Combs will be announcing his appointment of Bob Newell to a three-year term on the Charleston Carnegie Library Board of Trustees.

Bob Newell will fill the seat vacated by Allen Lanham, who submitted his resignation from the Charleston Carnegie Public Library Board of Trustees along with his retirement from Eastern.

Another announcement that will be made by Mayor Combs is his re-appointment of Kathryn Morice to a three-year term on the Historic Preservation Commission.

The mayor’s re-appointment of Lexe Volk and appointment of Jill Nilsen to five-year terms on the Board of Zoning Appeals & Planning will also be announced at Tuesday’s meeting.

The public is welcomed to attend this and all City Council meetings held on the second floor of City Hall. The meetings are on the first and third Tuesday of each month.

Lynnsey Veach can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]