A healthy start to the New Year

Lynnsey Veach, City Editor

Two common New Year’s resolutions on campus are to get healthier eating habits and improving one’s fitness.

During the first week of the semester, many students start their new year off with a workout in a crowded Student Recreation Center.

Sarah Daugherty, the Program Director and Lead Manager at the Rec said many students use the gym during the first couple of weeks of the spring semester.

“We typically see a rise in usage at the start of the spring semester,” Daugherty said. “There are several reasons for this change, but New Year’s resolutions are a major contributing factor.”

Daugherty said she recommends students make attainable and realistic goals for themselves at the gym so they actually stick to their workout plan.

“Don’t shoot for the moon and say you are going to lose a huge amount of weight before spring break, as that will be very tough to meet and may discourage a person from continuing,” Daugherty said.

Instead of setting unreachable goals for new years resolutions, Daugherty said students should set a goal of getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily.

“Usage (of) the Rec is typically elevated for the first three weeks of the year. After that things level off,” Daugherty said. “There are always new faces becoming regular users, which is the best part of New Year’s resolutions.”

Daugherty said if students are looking for a “fun and enjoyable” way to work out, they should attend Campus Recreation’s group fitness classes.

“It allows you to easily schedule your trip to the gym for the day and get a guided workout from an instructor,” Daugherty said. “We always like to see new and returning people in group fitness classes.”

Daugherty said each instructor teaches classes that are adaptable to any personal fitness level, but it’s up to the students to determine which class they are able to attend.

The Rec offers classes focused on abs, and Daugherty said she recommends students that have not taken an abs class before to start off with the Beginner Abs class and work their way up to Advanced Abs.

Daugherty said if students have not taken Piloxing, Totally Toning, Kettlebell, Boot Camp, Yoga or other classes offered at the Rec, they should not be scared to try something new.

Daugherty said everyone can do these classes regardless of their fitness level.

Caroline Weber, the Nutrition Promotion Coordinator at the Health Education Resource Center said healthy living is a combination of being active and eating nutritious foods.

Weber said that working out can help people maintain weight, but it cannot provide you with the nutrients needed in a healthy diet.

The HERC offers Nutrition Analysis Appointments for any students on campus that are having trouble deciding which healthy diet fits their New Year’s resolution goals.

Weber said students can make an appointment at the HERC by emailing [email protected].

Weber said students that are starting a new diet should take baby steps, since changing too drastically will most likely result in turning back on your new healthy lifestyle choices.

“Making changes is difficult for everyone,” Weber said. “Planning rewards can be a way to keep yourself motivated through the bumps in the road.”

Weber said she recommends dieting students to reward themselves once a week, but to keep in mind these rewards do not have to involve food.

Weber said using the buddy system on your path to a healthier lifestyle will make the journey easier.

“If you feel like giving up, you know you have someone who is counting on you to make these changes together,” Weber said.

Lynnsey Veach can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]