Fashion organization to put on their first runway show

Submitted Photo Couture models practicing before a show last September in the basement of Lawson Hall. Saturday Couture is hosting their MAD HOUSE fashion show at 7pm in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King, Jr University Union.

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Couture Models will be starting their semester off with a fashion show where over 30 models will be striking poses and working the runway.

“Couture’s Mad House” will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

This will be the first fashion show from the organization. Adrianna Fullerton, the president of Couture Models, said she wants to bring something different to the Eastern campus.

Fullerton said mapping out a plan for the show was the easiest part, as her organization began brainstorming around the end of spring last year.

“We sat down and were trying to pick different themes, and ended up picking Mad House because we knew that would be the one we could really go crazy with and bring something different,” Fullerton said. “It’s not like Halloween, but there is definitely a scary element behind it.”

With the organization being fairly new, Fullerton said no one knows what the team is capable of, so the show gives Couture Models a chance to get its name out around campus.

“We don’t have a lot of nice events to go to, and this gives the student body something to do,” Fullerton said. “I want people to be prepared for surprises and for something out of the norm.”

Fullerton also said It took all of fall semester to gather props but only minutes to come up with an idea. She said the models would be in strenuous practice every day during the week of the event. Before winter break, the models practiced three times a week.

Fullerton said the only dilemma Couture ran into was not being able to get a smoke machine for the show. She said other than that, setting up has been a breeze.

Jalen Washington, a specialist for Couture, said the show would have five scenes that would be walked on the ballroom’s floor instead of on an extended runway on stage.

“I know we will do well because of our organization, and I am very eager for the weekend,” Washington said. “It gives people a look on how to build their confidence.”

Washington said many of Couture Models’ members have progressed into great models through practice over time. He also said a lot goes into creating a great show.

“We don’t just focus on what we’re wearing, but the show that we’re putting on and the story we’re trying to tell,” Washington said.

Fullerton said early arrival for the show is suggested. Tickets are $3 for individuals and $5 for two people.

“Be ready for an experience,” Fullerton said.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]