‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ to be read in different languages

Kevin Kroll, Staff Reporter

Students will have the opportunity to find out how the Grinch stole Christmas in many different languages from around the world.

Sigma Tau Delta and the foreign language department will be presenting the book, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

The Christmas story will be read in English as well as many other languages.

The languages the story will be read in are old English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and English.

The reading will start at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Edgar Room of Booth Library.

Music, drinks and holiday snacks will be available for anyone to enjoy along with the reading.

Jessica Bayles, treasurer of Sigma Tau Delta, said this event does a good job on connecting the English department with the foreign language department.

Bayles said the reading has been going on for several of years now, and it has had a great turn out every year.

Everyone is welcome to come, not only students here at Eastern, but children and students from local high schools are also welcome.

Bayles said the reading also does a good job of bringing in new students who have an interest in foreign languages or the English department.

“It was a blast. It was something that people talked about into the spring,” Bayles said. “It’s so cool to hear all the different languages next to each other, especially because you are switching from Germanic to romance languages.”

Sigma Tau Delta shoots to have a couple of events each semester for students that are interested in the English department. This will be the group’s last event for this semester.

Last year, faculty members were in charge of reading the story, and now this year the students will be reading the story.

Interim department chair Christiane Eydt-Beebe said they like to switch up the event a little every year.

“We try to change it up every year a little bit; this year we added Italian,” Edyt-Beebe said.

Edyt-Beebe said she they like to spread the activities they have going on in this department out into the community.

“This event brings community spirit and a collaborative spirit because they can see us working together,” Edyt-Beebe said.

Kevin Kroll can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].