Holiday Hustle 5k to support charity

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The Student Community Service Center is preparing for the 4th annual Holiday Hustle 5k run scheduled to take place at 9 a.m. on Saturday located in front of Old Main.

The event will help support One Stop Community Christmas, an organization that helps families in need during the holiday season.

The organization helps to reach out to families in Coles, Clark, Cumberland, Edgar, Shelby and Douglas counties and helps to provide toys, food, blankets, pajamas, socks, puzzles, games, cleaning supplies and other household items.

Anyone who registered for the 5k before Nov. 29 will receive a race T-shirt, while additional T-shirt for children age 8 and under can be purchased for $15.

Children 8 and under can register for the 5k for free.

Anyone who registers after the Nov. 29, however, will not be guaranteed a T-shirt and will have to pay registration fee of $25.

People can also pay $2 of the registration fee if they register as a team of four to six people.

A prize will be awarded to the team who shows the most holiday spirit.

The team has to include their team name on the application, and all members of the team must be registered before the whole team can be processed.

Registration for the 5k will continue until the day of the race, and both late registration and the race check-in begins at 8 a.m. in front of Old Main.

The race will talk place regardless of the weather on Saturday, and because the proceeds for the race will be going to charity no refunds will be issued.

The 5k will start at Old Main and the participants will have to make their way around Eastern and finish up where the race started.

Anyone who is interested in registering for the Holiday Hustle can register online through the holiday Hustle website.

Rachel Fisher, the director of student community service, was unavailable for comment.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].