Writing Center prepares for semester’s final workshop

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The Writing Center is preparing to host its final workshop for students at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 3110 in Coleman Hall. The final workshop, titled “Strategies for Revising and Editing,” students are welcome to attend.

For new students, the Writing Center is a place where Eastern students can go to receive help either brushing up their writing skills, or developing their papers.

Jad Smith, the assistant director for the Writing Center, said the Writing Center typically has at least 12 different writing workshops scheduled through both the fall and spring semesters.

Smith also said the theme of each of the workshops are selected by the facilitators in the Writing Center.

Chelsea Pickens will be the facilitator for the final workshop.

“Our facilitators select themes designed to help writers with all aspects of the writing process,” Smith said. “Topics have included MLA Style, APA Style, breaking writer’s block, strategies for writing in-class exams, writing scholarship essays, making an argument, the research paper, introductory paragraphs and so on.”

Smith also said during this fall semester, about 120 students from different academic programs have attended the workshops hosted by the Writing Center.

If students are unable to attend the final workshop, they can still stop by the center during their hours of operation.

Smith said while he cannot speak for all the students who attend the workshops or visit the Writing Center, the feedback the attendees give back to the center is usually positive.

“Writers are always welcome in the Writing Center,” Smith said. “Our consultants help writers with all aspects of the writing process”

The hours for the writing center are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday.

“Students who desire appointments may call the center at (217) 581-5929 to book sessions in advance, or they may simply walk in during our open hours,” Smith said. “Students should bring a writing assignment or piece of writing with them to the center.”

The final workshop for discussing different strategies students can use for revising and editing their papers, is open to students and there is no registration fee required to attend.

Chelsea Pickens could not be reached for comment.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]