Charleston hosts annual Christmas celebration

Missa Borah, Staff Reporter

December is finally here, which for many people means one thing: Christmas. For over 20 years, the city of Charleston has joined in the festivities by hosting a family event known as “Christmas in the Heart of Charleston.”

The festivities are coordinated by the Christmas in the Heart of Charleston Committee, supervised by Diane Ratliff, who is in charge of tourism and special events.

Ratliff said the event “allows families to come together and create memories.” She also said that it is a great way to get local businesses involved, and an overall fun, memorable event for the entire Charleston community.

Those attending the event will be able to enjoy a holiday parade, watch performances by Dance Life Studios, Jefferson Elementary Show Choir, the Charleston High School chamber choir, and other musical performances.

There is also a chance to meet Santa and his helpers, including a live reindeer.

Rachael Robinson, an Eastern graduate, said she has been attending this event since she was a little girl.

“It actually brings the square to life,” Robinson said.

She compares it to what she believes an old town shopping center looked like, with dancers and musicians in the windows of local shops.

“I love the chestnuts actually roasting over an open fire and getting cozy in the sleigh ride,” Robinson said.

The Charleston Alley Theater, located at 718 Monroe Ave., will be performing their holiday play, “Christmas Shorts,” at 7:30 p.m.

Refreshments will be available, including warm drinks and roasted chestnuts. There will also be a gingerbread house contest, costumed characters and sleigh rides.

The event is free and open to the public. It will take place at the Charleston Square Saturday from 4:45-7 p.m.

Missa Borah can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]