Doudna to host annual holiday art sale

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The Holiday Art sale features handmade items from area artists featuring ceramics, wood items, jewelry and other pieces. A portion of the sales proceeds will be used to support the art department’s scholarship fund. The sale will be December 3-5.
Submitted Photo
The Holiday Art sale features handmade items from area artists featuring ceramics, wood items, jewelry and other pieces. A portion of the sales proceeds will be used to support the art department’s scholarship fund. The sale will be December 3-5.

The art department will be having its 29th annual Holiday Art Sale starting at 5 p.m. Thursday in the 1910 Gallery of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Robin Terwilliger, the office administrator of the art department, will be in charge of the sale this year for the first time.

“I joined the art department in the summer, and it is part of the responsibilities of my position,” Terwilliger said. “The chair and a few faculty members are also highly involved in getting things set up.”

The art sale will feature various pieces, including handmade items created by Eastern students, faculty and alumni.

“(There will be) quite a variety, ceramics, jewelry, photography, landscapes, wood items, scarves, hats (and) handmade cards,” Terwilliger said. “This year we have items from current faculty and staff as well as alumni and other area artists.”

The purpose of the art sale is to help generate funds for the Art Department Scholarship.

Terwilliger said at least 40 percent of the sales made by the art sale would go toward the scholarship fund, while the remaining 60 percent of the sales will be distributed to the artists.

Terwilliger also said the art sale is usually successful in terms of bringing in funds for the department.

“This year in addition to annual favorites, we also have items from new people and increased variety,” Terwilliger said.

Terwilliger said during the sale, they would be accepting debit and credit cards to purchase some of the art pieces.

“We have loyal shoppers from both on-campus and off who visit the sale every year. We try to have a wide range or prices so everyone feels they can afford something,” Terwilliger said. “People find it a great place to buy holiday gifts and items for themselves.”

The prices for some of the pieces have a wide range, from $1 up to $400.

Terwilliger said there is not an exact favorite type over art piece; however, there are some patrons who come every year to purchase a new piece from annually returning artists.

The art sale will also take place from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday.

 

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]