University Board prepares for Vegas competition

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The University Board is preparing for their upcoming lip-syncing competition known as “Vegas.” The show is scheduled to take place Saturday at 6 p.m. in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The upcoming show will also be the second year UB has put together a competition, centered around the idea of Vegas like this, although attendance last year was quite high.

Patrick Davis, the UB mainstage coordinator, said last year’s show was really successful and he hopes this year’s show will bring in even more people and be an even bigger success.

Students can expect to see lights, cameras, all types of action and Vegas glamour throughout the show.

Davis also said he was looking for performers to come in and give everything they had in the different performances in hopes of winning against the competition.

He said one of his favorite memories from the first Vegas show was witnessing all of the different performances put on by fellow students.

Auditions for Vegas were held in November and was during what Davis described as “a tough week.”

“The audition process was a tad bit unusual because it was during an extremely busy week,” Davis said. “I had to put in more work and “track” down potential performers.

He said this year’s Vegas performance would feature between six to 10 performances.

“Vegas is open to all (and) any type of performances,” Davis said. “Any and all genres of music are acceptable.”

Davis also said each of the performance are expected to be anywhere between three to five minutes in length.

“(Performers should) stay within the allotted time, be respectful of other performers and peers and put on the greatest show possible,” Davis said.

Also, a panel of judges will judge performances, and the first place performance will receive $300, while the second and third place performances will receive $150 and $75.

Like other UB events throughout the semester, the show will be free and any students who attend the performance can expect to have a chance to win some giveaways through the evening.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]