UB cancels YouTube event, adds Lip-Sync

+Tanner+Skym%2C+a+freshman+history+major%2C+impersonates+Elvis+at+the+Vegas+event++on+Nov.+12%2C+2014+at+Grand+Ballroom+in+the+Martin+Luther+King+Jr.%2C+University+Union.

File Photo

Tanner Skym, a freshman history major, impersonates Elvis at the Vegas event on Nov. 12, 2014 at Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr., University Union.

Sydney Edwards, Copy Editor

The University Board recently postponed their YouTube event for Thursday, and replaced it with events regarding their annual Vegas Lip-Sync competition.

Patrick Davis, University Board Mainstage Coordinator, said he decided to cancel the YouTube event to offer something more to campus.

“I wanted to switch it up a bit and give the campus a bigger yet more intimate showcase,” Davis said.

Davis said he was planning another event in the place of the YouTube event but the plans fell through.

“I was planning and still am planning a ‘Wild N Out’ show based on the MTV Show that Nick Cannon presents,” Davis said.

After Davis was not able to “produce a quality show” he decided to postpone ‘Wild N Out’ and begin the events for the second annual Vegas Lip Sync competition.

Davis said “Vegas” is not the theme of the competition, but instead it is “what the atmosphere of the show is centered around.”

The actual competition does not take place until December, but the University Board decided to get an early start. The UB held an informational meeting Tuesday night and held their auditions on Wednesday night.

At the auditions, Davis said the University Board were looking for something special in the performers.

“This year we are looking for those individuals who are willing to leave it all on the stage, giving the performance of a life time in hopes of winning the competition,” Davis said.

The winners of the show will be decided by a panel of three “guest” faculty judges. The first place winner will receive a $300 grand prize. The second place winner will receive a $150 grand prize. The third place winner will receive a $75 grand prize.

Davis said the University Board anticipates a large crowd at the lip sync competition.

“The event is really popular fortunately, last year’s attendance reached several hundred so we’re expecting no less this go around,” Davis said.

When attending the show in December, Davis said the crowd can expect nothing less than a candid show.

“People can expect to experience a genuine Vegas show. Lights, camera, action and glamour all the way around,” Davis said.

After experiencing last year’s competition, Davis said the audience can expect a marvelous show.

“My favorite memory from the previous year would have to be the amazing performances that were put on by those who participated. They worked really hard and delivered an unforgettable evening for all those who attended,” Davis said.

The Vegas Lip-Sync competition will take place on December 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. and is free to everyone. However, the audience can expect giveaways throughout the show.

Sydney Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]