Black Student Reunion returns to campus

Torri Griffith, Staff Reporter

To raise money for scholarships and to assist the minority students on campus, Eastern’s Black Student Reunion will return to campus.

Black Student Reunion will be at several different locations on Friday, Nov. 6th through Sunday, Nov. 8th.

The Black Student Reunion’s theme is named after a popular sitcom, “A Different World.”

The TV show “A Different World” was a show about African-American college students and the show followed several issues the students faced and how they dealt with it.

The last Black Student Reunion took place in the fall of 2012 and Minority Affairs along with the National Pan-Hellenic Council fund the entire weekend.

Mona Davenport, the director of minority affairs, said the planning for the reunion usually starts in the spring.

Because of recent violence off-campus, some events have been cancelled to ensure the safety of students.

“We are hoping that we will not have to cancel any of our events, but my main concern even for BSR, is the safety of our students” Davenports said.

She said they work with different offices to make sure the planned weekend is a good one and also to see if there is a home football game.

“We are extremely excited this year because it is also ‘senior day’ at the football game so some of our senior football players will get acknowledged for their hard work on the team,” Davenport said.

Davenport said the Black Student Reunion is important to Eastern’s campus because it is an opportunity to give back to the institution.

The first event of the weekend will be the Career Services and BSR Mentorship program. This event will be at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Following it will be the “100 Black Achievers” reception at 7 p.m. in the University Ballroom in the Union.

There will be a “Black Student Union vs. Alumni” basketball game at 8 p.m. in the McAfee Gymnasium, Friday. This event will cost $5 for alumni and $2 for students; students can also bring canned goods for free admission to this event.

This event is also a charity event.

“Alumni Coffee and Conversation: EIU update” will be at 10:30 a.m. in the Charleston-Mattoon room of the union Saturday.

Following Coffee and Conversation there will be a home football game.

The football game is against Jacksonville State; this game is a part of “Senior Day.” The game will be at 1 p.m. at O’Brien Stadium, Saturday.

The tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door.

The Annual Greek Step show will take place Saturday night and the Show will begin at 7 p.m. in McAfee Gym.

The tickets are $20 in advance, and $25 at the door.

The last event will be a church service held at Second Missionary Baptist Church, at 11 a.m., at 20 Old State Road, Mattoon, 61938, Sunday.

Eastern Alumni Pastor Cyprus Hughes will be leading the service.

Davenport said through all of these events students will be able to connect with alumni.

Raising money for scholarships is the main purpose of the reunion this year.

Davenport said the goal is to raise $25,000 for scholarships.

Outside of the ticket sales for the weekend, all alumni are asked to donate an additional $100.

“The committee has developed a fun-filled weekend designed to provide alumni and current students with fuel that will aid in inspiring everyone,” said Davenport.

Torri Griffith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]