Socktoberfest collects for Homeless

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Student Community Service Office along with others around campus have been collecting socks since the middle of October and will continue to do so until November 9, 2015. They are collecting socks on behalf of the homeless, with boxes in various locations about campus.
Roberto Hodge

An idea sprung up while watching “Kid President” on Facebook and now Eastern has brought “Socktoberfest” to campus.

The goal of this project is to collect as many socks as possible and give them to the homeless.

Stacia Lynch, director of Marketing and Creative Services, came up with the idea to bring this form of charity to Eastern.

“It kind of happened organically so no one is particularly in charge of it because it just kind of happened,” Lynch said. “We’re all big fans of Kid President so I just seen a video and sent a message to Racheal Fisher and Michael Gillespie and they were very supportive.”

Lynch said “Kid President” is the site where it all started and got things going. She said he is a kid who works with his brother and does things surrounding community outreach and being good citizens to each other.

Lynch said from “Kid President,” she thought one thing people do not consider is one thing homeless people never get is socks because people see it was a small thing.

“If you have clothes that you want to get rid of, you may give them to the Salvation Army or a shelter but people don’t do the same with socks,” Lynch said.

The Student Community Service Office has been collecting socks around campus since the second week of October. Boxes have been placed in the residence halls, academic buildings and the Student Recreation Center to get as many socks as possible. So far there has been a little less than 1000 socks collected.

“It’s such a small thing, but it makes a huge difference just in terms of keeping people warm and cared for and making them feel better about themselves because you look cleaner” Lynch said. “And it’s just a small, easy thing to do because socks aren’t expensive.”

Lynch said Eastern has great students who like to involve themselves in important matters of the world. She said a lot of times students do feel they cannot contribute because it can cost a lot of money. She said ”Socktoberfest” allow students to pick up a pair of socks for a couple of dollars and participate, which many have been doing.
“We got 500 from the parade, Racheal Fisher’s office already had 200 and we have boxes in the residence halls, the union and in the rec center and we don’t know what’s in those yet,” Lynch said. “We’re going to easily have over 1000.”

This project will run until Nov. 9 because of the football game the group is trying to get involved with Nov. 7.

Rachel Fisher, the director of Student Community Service, said one of the reasons she really liked this program was because it showed how simple it is to truly give support to another person.

“The socks are being donated to many local agencies including one stop community Christmas which provides for over 800 families in our area,” Fisher said. “The socks are staying in our community and will help our fellow citizens and neighbors!”

The Student Community Service Office has worked with agencies like Public Action to Deliver Shelter in the past.

“A new pair of soft socks is such a wonderful gift as the fall and winter season begins upon us,” Fisher said. “This is a wonderful simple way to help. “

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]