Mission to be made possible though fashion

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Members of GLAM modeling practice a routine for their fashion show, Monday in the basement of Andrews Hall. GLAM is preparing for their first show this semester. The Mission Impossible Fashion Show to be held this Saturday from 7-9 pm in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King, Jr University Union. Tickets are on sale now for $5, but the price will be $7 at the door.
Josh Saxton

While some might be getting prepared for the tricks and scares of Halloween, Glamorized Ladies and Men Modeling will be taking their audience trip around the world in “Mission Impossible: Fashion Protocol.”

This fashion show is making way at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Janai Cooks, the president of GLAM, said instead of giving people a runway of terror they plan to do a show based on the seven continents on Halloween night.  She said GLAM has been practicing since tryouts to get their models in top condition for the show.

The fashion show is supposed to give the audience a feel of an actual chase on stage. Models steal pages from a fashion protocol book and from there the story unfolds.

“We add theatrics in to give it a better feel,” Cooks said. “I want the audience to be able to go on the chase with us as we go through each scene.”

Mada Clothing is giving GLAM clothes to model in and also the Asian American Association are providing clothes for the Asia piece of the show. All week GLAM is collaborating with the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta sorority with small events like a clothing drive, which was on Monday.

“One challenge was teaching the models to incorporate energy as their walking,” Cooks said. “They were just walking, but now they have to feel the music and walk like they mean it.”

Cooks said it can be a struggle with breaking some of the diversity barriers on campus, but GLAM took a step in the right direction when asking the Asian American Association to collaborate with them.

“I didn’t know if triple A would be willing to work with us, let alone let us borrow their clothes,” Cooks said. “That was a big step for me.”

Cooks said the theme of the story may confuse people because they only have a certain number of models, but it should be a fun experience overall.

“Come with your mind open to accept the story because I know a lot of time we was an organization know where what we’re going with something,” Cooks said.

Tia Shelby, a sophomore psychology major, is a first year model for GLAM and said working with GLAM has given her a positive outlet and something to relieve her from the stress of school.

“I get so involved with my walk and my poses and having fun while doing it, that I kind of forget my problems,” Shelby said.

Shelby said the models spend at least three hours together almost every day and because of the time spent they have no choice but to bond.

Sha’kya Jarrett, the vice president and treasurer of GLAM, said when people think of mission impossible they often envision an item being stolen and a group going on a hunt to find it.  She said the fashion show has the same concept; only fashion is brought into it.

“It was brought to campus to show GLAM in a creative light and it shows a mission impossible reinvented,” Jarrett said. “ The inspiration of this event came to (Cooks) in her sleep and it came to life when she started planning it.”

The presale tickets are $5 or $7 at the door.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]