Pride to bring transgender awareness with screening

Emily Brodt, Staff Reporter

Eastern students are looking to learn more about the history of transgender people at EIU Pride’s film screening of the documentary “Pay it no Mind.”

The screening is meant to bring more awareness of transgender people of color. The event is open to all students and is free to enter 7pm Thursday at Phipps Auditorium in the Physical Science Building.

Jo Stauder, Eastern’s Pride president, said Pride picked the film because of its focus on a transgender woman of color. The film focuses on Marsha P. Johnson, a transgender woman of color.

“(Johnson is) who I believe is credited with throwing the first brick at the Stonewall riots” Stauder said. “People don’t know about her even though she is a prominent figure in LGBT history.”

At Pride’s last film screening, the film showed Stonewall riots and it did not cover anything about the transgender women of color in the movement, Stauder said. Pride picked “Pay it no Mind” in order to bring more awareness about transgender men and women during LGBT History Month.

The biggest priority of LGBT history month is education. Stauder said Pride wanted to bring more awareness and education to the rest of the LGBT acronym, not just the “LG” part of it.

“We have to educate people on the issues of people of color,” Stauder said.

Stauder said though EIU Pride is predominately white and members still wish for more people of color. Stauder said this is a topic most people are unfamiliar with and they hope people will come and view the film and leave with a newfound curiosity about the issues surrounding trans women.

Lauren Eberle, Pride social co-chair, said she hopes people who want to know more will come with an open mind and a outlook to understand there is always more to learn.

“Even if you’re an expert, [I think] you’ll learn something,” said Eberle.

Eberle said LGBT History Month is important because a lot of their history often gets left out.

“It’s important for people to know our history,” said Eberle.

She also said being gay is being treated like a fad which only came up recently. Eberle said this assumption is not true and it has always been around.

Stauder said October is a month where people get to focus on their history and by showing this film they hope people will be able to relate more to the LGBT community

Eberle said this month gives them a voice and lets people know that they will not be silent.

“Just because we are a smaller group doesn’t mean we are not important,” said Eberle.

Emily Brodt can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]