Women’s soccer looking to finish season strong

Elias Albert, Staff Reporter

Eastern is currently in 11th place in the OVC with four points and a record of 1-5-1 in conference play and a 3-11-2 record overall.

Their lone conference win was back on Oct. 9 over a Tennessee Tech team that was, at the time, undefeated in the OVC.

The win was a result of a play by freshman goalkeeper Maddie Lyon, who has led the conference in saves per game, 6.86, since the start of OVC play.

She has also accumulated two shutouts during that same timespan.

Despite a drop in box score production, senior forward Molly Hawkins still leads the team in goals through the whole season with five. She has also posted two assists and 10 shots on goal.

Right behind her in goals is senior forward Hannah Miller who continues to find opportunities seemingly each game.

Miller has recorded three goals off of 15 shots on goal. Her 35 total shots give her the team lead.

Rounding out the scoring production are junior forward Kathleen MacKinnon and sophomore midfielder Ali Carlson. The two have scored one goal each and a combined three assists and nine shots.

Throughout the season, coach Jason Cherry has said that he expects a particular number of players to break through and have an impact for his team.

He mentioned players like freshman midfielder Kaci Schonert, sophomore forward Madi Fisher and junior defender Emily Wolf, among others, as players that could show signs of production and have a positive influence for his team.

While Cherry said he would like to see more players gain opportunities to score, he has said he’d prefer to see players successfully fulfill their respective role. To Cherry, scoring isn’t necessarily the defining factor.

As a team, Eastern is averaging 9.2 shots per game, compared to the 16.2 that they’re allowing. They also have been out-cornered 65-32.

Eastern’s best soccer games have happened at Lakeside Field.

At home this season, Eastern is 3-4-1, with their lone conference win also happening on their home turf.

This trend continued into conference play, going back to the 1-2-1 home stand, where Eastern picked up their only conference points.

They have also scored more goals when they played at home, having recorded 10 goals in their eight home games.

As iterated throughout the season, Eastern has played a clean and disciplined strategy that Cherry has emphasized from the start.

They have been booked for only two yellow cards, which is the lowest total among teams in their conference this season, and have yet to earn a red card.

Eastern will have more chances to pick up wins with their disciplined play, strong goalkeeping and creative offense in their next handful of games.

They will visit Austin Peay and Murray State, then return home for the regular season finale against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville ahead of the OVC Tournament in early November.

Elias Albert can be reach 581-2812 or [email protected]