Men’s golf team continues to struggle

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s golf team placed last in a tournament for the fourth time in the fall season, coming in 11th place out of 11 teams in the F&M Bank APSU Intercollegiate at The Links at Novadell Golf Course in Hopkinsville, Ky.

The Panthers shot an 879 as a team, which was 15-over-par for the three days. This was the best score the Panthers have shot as a team all season.

Eastern was led by freshman Alvaro Hernandez, who 3-under-par for the tournament. Hernandez shot a 5-under, 67, in round one, which was his best round all season.

Hernandez finished with a 71 and a 75 for the final two rounds.

Junior Ryan Hughes finished with his best three-round total of the season with a 4-over, 220. Hughes shot a 2-under, 70, in round one and finished with a 74 and a 76 for the final two rounds.

Freshman Charlie Adare finished 5-over-par for the tournament after shooting a 221. Senior Austin Sproles finished 13-over-par, and freshman Kevin Altenberger finished 32-over-par for the tournament.

As a team, the Panthers shot a 286 in the first round of the tournament, which was 2-under-par. Eastern then finished with a 295 and a 298 for the final two rounds.

Ohio Valley Conference member Belmont ended up leaving the course with the team title as the Bruins shot 32-under-par as a team.

Senior Scott Barnhart, who finished in fifth place as an individual, shot 10-under for the tournament with a 206.

Barnhart had two rounds in the 60s with a 68 and a 67.

The Bruins also had two other members finish in the top ten with senior Ashton Van Horne and freshman Daniel Booker who shot a 207 and a 209, respectively.

Van Horne finished in sixth place and Booker finished in eighth.

Western Illinois finished in second place with an 836 score as a team. Tennessee-Martin finished in third place with an 838. The 848 Missouri State shot as a team was good enough for fourth, and Murray State and New Orleans tied for fifth.

Sophomore Hunter Richardson and senior Ben Reeves from Tennessee-Martin tied for the Individual title as they both shot a 13-under, 203, for the tournament.

Reeves and Richardson each had two rounds in the 60s with a 7-under, 65, for both members, which was the lowest round of the tournament by any golfer in the field.

Reeves had 18 birdies in the tournament, while Richardson ended up with 16. Richardson led the field in Par 5 scoring with 9-under-par and a 4.25 average.

The Eastern men’s golf teams’ fall schedule is now complete, and the Panthers will next be in action in the spring.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]