Published poets will share work at local bookstore

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The Nancy Hennings Memorial poetry reading will take place at 6 p.m. Monday at Bob’s Bookstore in the Charleston Square. The reading, hosted by Eastern’s English department, will feature three published poets reading some of their work.

The three poets are Sandy Longhorn, Daiva Markelis and Jonathan Brown.

Longhorn is the author of three award-wining poetry books and her poems explore how one’s physical health can affect every aspect of one’s day.

Markelis is an English professor whose short stories and other creative work has been featured in more than ten different literary reviews.

Brown is an Eastern graduate student, studying rhetoric and composition.

Joe Judd, the owner of Bob’s Bookstore, said Eastern had contacted him about using the space in his store about a month in advance to help coordinate for the event.

Judd said this is the first time Eastern has contacted him to host one of their events at his bookstore.

“When we host anything that has to do with the university, there is usually a fairly decent crowd,” Judd said. “It would be nice to host more stuff.”

This is the second reading Bob’s bookstore has hosted within the last few weeks. Recently, the store was the host of a fiction book reading where authors Mary Maddox and Letitia Moffitt read off some of their work.

Like the fiction reading, those who attend the Nancy Hennings Memorial poetry reading will be able to ask the poets any question they may have in mind.

“I think that kind of stuff is important for the students to get into, that’s what authors do,” Judd said. “Even famous authors give readings and that’s the same with poets. These poets are published writers and they’re still reading their poems someplace.”

Judd said the reading is a way for individuals to get off Eastern’s campus.

“You have poetry, which is art, within the community.  Clearly the university supports that and a lot of the local businesses do too,” Judd said.

The event is free and open to the public.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]