Student Senate approves RSOs, calls for bylaw changes

Analicia Haynes, Staff Reporter

The Student Senate approved two registered student organizations as well three new student justices to the student Supreme Court Wednesday night.

The Andrews Hall council and the southern poverty law council were approved as RSOs in Wednesday’s consent agenda.

Leah Kolakowski, president for the Andrews Hall council, said the hall council puts on events for students to help keep them active on campus.

The hall council plans events for stress relief week to help students get through finals and also hands out study bucks to students in the hall who are caught studying in the open.

The study buck acts as a raffle ticket and students have the opportunity to turn in the study buck and enter for a chance to win an Andrews mug.

“Being in an RSO really benefits the students. It creates a sense of community especially in the residence halls,” Kolakowski said.

The Student Senate also approved the EIU Chapter of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Rodney Fidel-Ndubisi, president for the EIU Chapter of the Southern Poverty Law Center said the center does a lot for minority groups and civil rights groups.

Fidel-Ndubisi said one of the things the chapter will be doing this semester is a movie screening on Nov. 4 at hunting grounds and it will be documentary on sexual assault on campus.

“The chapter’s initiative is to promote culture acceptance and justice on campus,” Fidel-Ndubisi said.

The Student Senate also approved three student Supreme Court justices.

Ashley Renkor, senior psychology major, Jeremy Lynch, junior political science major, and Lucia Castro, Junior Philosophy major were approved as new justices Wednesday.

“I wanted to be able to give back to the student body,” Lynch said.

Maralea Negron, speaker of the senate, authored the bill introducing the bylaw change to amend the current attendance bylaw.

The amendment called for three unexcused absences instead of two and up to three excused absences with the opportunity for senators to appeal the unexcused absences to the speaker instead of being removed.

In order to appeal the excused absences senators must have a valid excuse, said Negron.

Courtney Sage, student vice-president for student affairs and co-author to the bill said it has to be an extreme case in order for the senator to appeal the excused absences.

“The appeal comes from something that rarely happens, not I had three tests,” Sage said. “Sometimes (an emergency) sneaks up on you so if something does come up you’re safe.”

The change aims to hold senators accountable at meetings and events, Negron said.

Senators went into a period of questions where they asked for clarification of the bill.

Next week they will enter a period of discussion and then vote on the bill.

Student senate also had their second senator sideline event where they practiced creating legislation.

Ceci Brinker, the Student Senate adviser said it is a practice exercise for senators so they can better understand how to write legislation whether it be a bill, bylaw change or resolution.

Since the senate members are relatively new these mock training sessions will help them transition into senate, Brinker said.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]