Coastal Carolina remains unbeaten

Red-shirt junior running back Devin Church is brought down during the Panthers’ 33-28 Family Weekend win on Saturday at O’Brien Field. Church ran for 75 yards completing one touchdown during the game.

Blake Nash, Staff Reporter

Coastal Carolina found an unorthodox way to keep their undefeated record on Saturday. The Chanticleers defeated Presbyterian 24-17, on a special teams scoring play. However, it was not a kick or punt return that helped move the Chanticleers to 5-0 this season.

Red-shirt junior field goal kicker Ryan Granger was lined up for a field goal in the second quarter. What happened next was something the Presbyterian defense wasn’t expecting.

At the snap, Granger took off behind his holder, Tyler Keane, who pitched the ball to Granger. Four yards later, Granger reached the inside of the pylon for Coastal Carolina’s only touchdown of the day. He was responsible for all 12 of the Chanticleer’s points in the first half, and they headed into the locker room with a 14-3 lead.

Two of the points were the result of a safety, when Presbyterian missed the snap on their punt attempt.

Granger made three field goals from 38, 47 and 22 yards each.

One of his teammates crept closer to a Football Championship Subdivision record in their Big South Conference opener.

Junior running back De’Angelo Henderson rushed for a total of 124 yards on 25 carries. He scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter, making Saturday his 20th consecutive game with a touchdown and tying the NCAA record.

The current record-holder, Monmouth’s David Sinisi, scored his 20th consecutive touchdown in 2007. Henderson will get a chance to break Sinisi’s record in two weeks, as the two teams will meet in a Big South conference game.

The Chanticleers were ranked No. 2 in this week’s STATS Poll, behind Jacksonville State, who was off this past weekend.

Christion solid in debut

If you want to have a solid debut, beating a ranked opponent might help your cause, as it did for South Dakota State freshman quarterback Taryn Christion.

Christion got the nod for his first start on Saturday, in place of injured quarterback Zach Lujan. The Jackrabbits, ranked No. 8 in the FCS, were facing another ranked opponent, No. 19 ranked Indiana State.

Christion completed 15-of-24 passes for 221 yards, and a 34-yard touchdown to sophomore wide receiver Jake Wieneke. Christion also ran for 99 yards on 16 carries, and scored on a 10-yard touchdown run for the first score of the game.

The Jackrabbits defeated the Sycamores 24-17, setting their record at 4-1 this season and 1-1 in Missouri Valley Conference play.

Lamars’ Harrington POTW again

It didn’t take Lamar’s junior running back Kade Harrington long to become national player of the week again. Harrington earned the honors again, after rushing for 347 yards and two touchdowns in a 44-28 win over Abilene Christian.

Harrington earned player of the week following a September 21 victory over Sam Houston State.

On Saturday, he set both the Lamar and the Southland conference records with those rushing yards. His 365 total yards also broke another school record. He is now tied for the school’s record for all-time scoring with 198 points.

Bernier specialist of the week

Eastern freshman punter Mike Bernier was named the Ohio Valley Conference specialist of the week. He averaged 40.6 yards per punt, and downed a 54-yard punt inside the Southeast Missouri five-yard line on Saturday.

Eastern defeated SEMO 33-28 to move to 2-0 in OVC play.

Blake Nash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]