Men’s soccer team reaching critical season stretch

Maher Kawash, Staff Reporter

The Eastern Illinois men’s soccer team is facing a crucial part of their schedule as they lost their sixth straight game of the season with a 4-2 loss against Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne on Saturday.

The Panthers started out the game strong with an early goal from sophomore Tyler Oliver in the 17th minute, but failed to hold that lead as they allowed IPFW to score four straight goals.

Sophomore Tyler Oliver currently has four goals out of six shots-on-goal during his 2015 season.

This game was more of the same for EIU as they lost their sixth straight game due to slow starts and missed opportunities.

“If we had finished our chances throughout all these past six games, there is no reason we shouldn’t have won at least four of them,” Oliver said. “We just need to be more ruthless and clinical in front of the goal.”

Oliver has been a bright spot for the team during this losing streak as his goal on Saturday was his team leading fourth of the season.

The Panthers will attempt to salvage their season with a couple of important conference games against Western Illinois on Oct. 17, and IUPUI on Oct. 25.

“We have started several games slowly, and therefore we have put ourselves in bad positions early on in the game,” senior Nick Smith said.

It can be said that the next two weeks will be the make or break point of the season for the team as they stand at 0-2 in the Summit League.

“We’re playing for our season in the next few games, and we have a team full of guys with no quit,” Oliver said. “The talent is here on this team to turn the season around, there is no doubt about it.”

As the Panthers face this turning point of the season, they will continue working on the basics.

“Practice is what we need. People need to be more consistent in front of the goal, and the only way to do that is to practice,” sophomore goalkeeper Mike Novotny said.

First year head coach Kiki Lara was brought in with hopes of turning the program around, and that will be put to the test in these next few games.

Regardless of their 2-8 record, players on the team are still buying into what Lara has to offer.

“Coach Lara is a relentless, hardworking man who will outwork any other coach in the country,” Smith said.  “He is sharing this intense work ethic by making it a staple of EIU men’s soccer.”

In hopes of saving their season, the Panthers head to Macomb on Oct. 17 to take on Western Illinois in hopes of earning their first conference victory of the season.

Maher Kawash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]