Five Mile House hosts annual Fall Festival

Liz Dowell, Copy Editor

The Five Mile House Foundation had their annual Fall Festival, on Sunday.

The day was sunny and warm with little wind and a lot of hospitality; volunteers from Eastern and walked around in dresses of the 1800s. Women were also in the kitchen cooking and on the porch spinning yarn.

Demonstrations such as apple cider making, blacksmithing and even a phrenologist was at the Five Mile House’s Fall Festival.

A phrenologist is someone who can decode a personality by the bumps on a person’s skull.

Items such as kettle corn, soap and assorted, homemade beeswax products were also being sold at the festival.

There were also other activities for kids, such as an animal farm petting zoo and an activity spot to make cornhusk dolls.

Jalisha Smith, a sophomore sociology major, volunteered along with her fellow basketball team. She said that this was her first time making cornhusk dolls.

“I think it’s really different,” Smith said. “It’s a culture shock, kind of way because I’m not used to doing this, but it’s pretty fun.”

Kathy Hummel, Charleston resident, came over to Smith and made a comment that Smith is now a pro at making cornhusk dolls.

Smith said she volunteered because she was trying to broaden her horizons and be open to things.

Sheri Sam, the assistant coach to women’s basketball team, was helping park cars while Dick Hummel, Kathy Hummel’s husband and President of Five Mile Foundation, greeted the patrons.

“We try to do as much as we can for the community as a team,” Sam said.

Sam said that her team seems to really be enjoying their time here and every time she sees a member they are smiling.

“I think it’s good for them,” Smith said. “We have one kid from Spain. So she is in a little bit of a culture shock right now. It’s good for them to learn about different cultures. We’re here in the community and we need to learn our surroundings.”

Nelda Campbell, a Charleston resident, owns a beehive and sells honey along with other assorted homemade beeswax items.

“This is my first year,” Campbell said. “I think it’s very exciting, I think people should come out and enjoy the day. They have a lot of neat and interesting ideas.”

Liz Dowell can be reached at 581-1228 or [email protected]