Stove fire prompts Elliott building evacuation


Josh Saxton

The Charleston Fire Department responds to a stove fire at 9:10 p.m on Thursday in Apartment 24 of the Elliott building in University Court. Fire officials said that the fire was extinguished before the sprinkler system was activated and there was minimal damage.

Roberto Hodge, News Editor

A stove fire occurred at 9:10 p.m. Thursday in apartment 24 in the Elliott building of University Court.

Charleston Fire and Police departments both responded.

Steve Bennett, the assistant fire chief of the Charleston Fire Department, said the stove range and hood sustained minimal fire damage.

Nothing else in the building was damaged and no injuries were reported.

Bennett said the fire was extinguished before the sprinkler systems were activated; he said how quickly the building service workers clean the kitchen area would determine if the residents could return to their apartment Thursday evening.


Roberto Hodge may be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]