Women’s tennis team heads for tough test in Carbondale

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s tennis team is hoping to improve on its fall season as it heads to Carbondale for the Southern Illinois Fall Tournament.

The Panthers will play against athletes from Arkansas State, Southern Illinois Edwardsville and host Southern Illinois Carbondale.

Eastern has had at leach one player pick up a win so far this season. Senior Ali Foster is continuing her hot stretch from las season as she is 3-2 this season in singles matches. She was the only Panther to defeat her opponent in the match against St. Louis.

Sophomore Grace Summers leads the Panthers with a 4-1 record in singles play after going undefeated in both of her previous matches against St. Louis and Murray State.

Summers and her senior partner Hannah Kimbrough went undefeated in doubles play. They were the only two to pick up wins in their two dual meets.

Freshman Abby Carpenter has won two of her three matches played so far this season. Fellow freshman Srishti Slaria also has a 2-1 singles record.

Her and her partner Kamile Stadalninkaite finished doubles with a 2-1 record at the SIU-Edwardsville Invite.

This will be the second time the Panthers face the Cougars after losing the match to them at the SIUE Invite.

Eastern also lost to Carbondale in February and suffered a 5-2 loss.

Eastern has not faced Arkansas State since 2004, but the Panthers will play them in the spring season as well.

The tournament will start at 9:45 a.m. and will continue throughout the day.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]