Wolf, Lyon nominated for weekly awards

Freshman Kate Olson runs alongside IPFW’s Paityn Fleming during the Panthers’ 3-1 victory on Sept. 4 at Lakeside Field.

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

Eastern junior women’s soccer defender Emily Wolf and freshman goalkeeper Maddie Lyon were nominated for Player of the Week awards by the Ohio Valley Conference Tuesday.

Wolf was nominated for Defensive Player of the Week, and Lyon was nominated for Goalkeeper of the Week.

Wolf was one of three Panthers that did not come off the field over the two matches over the weekend. She had the assist on the Panthers goal against Belmont.

This season, Wolf has played in all 13 games for Eastern and has one assist on the season and give shots on goal.

Lyon allowed just two goals and made 10 saves over 203 minutes of action over the weekend. She also earned the shutout in the scoreless draw with Jacksonville State.

She leads the Panthers with 1,050 minutes played this season in 11 games as a goalkeeper. She has allowed 25 goals and made 83 saves. She also has two shut outs this season.

Senior Taylor Stevens from Murray State won the Defensive Player of the week after being apart of a defense that did not allow a single corner kick in the win over Tennessee-Martin. Her team also limited Southeast Missouri to six total shots in the Racers victory. She also scored a game in each of the two matches played over the weekend.

Her team is 3-0 in conference thus far, and it is the first time that Murray State has started OVC play with that record.

Caroline Robinson won Goalkeeper of the Week this week after recording a pair of shutouts on the road with a 1-0 double overtime win at Southern Illinois Edwardsville. She also was part of the scoreless draw between Jacksonville State and Eastern.

The senior from Jacksonville State stopped six shots against the Cougars and had two saves against Eastern. She now has four shutouts on the season.

McKenzie Dixon scored three goals to lead Austin Peay to two wins over the weekend, earning her Co-Offensive Player of the Week. She scored the game winners in both matches.

The freshman scored the game-winner in the 59th minute. She then scored a goal in the 72nd minute against Tennessee-Martin. She has eight goals on the season.

Taylor Richerson from Murray State had two assists in the win over Tennessee Martin. She followed that up with a pair of goals in the victory against Southeast Missouri. She had eight shots over the two matches, six of which were on goal.

Eastern will host Tennessee Tech and Morehead State Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]