Chicago dance company will demonstrate powerful dance

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

Chicago based dance group The Seldoms will be bringing their dance moves to the Doudna Fine Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The title of their performance is “Power Goes,” which describes the new theme of the group’s latest work.

Daniel Crews, the director of Patron Services at Doudna, said this is the first time The Seldoms will perform at Eastern. However, this is not the first time a dance group from Chicago has come to the university.

“Over the past eight years, we have had several dance ensembles from Chicago perform at the Doudna Fine Arts Center,” Crews said.

Some of the other more well-known dance groups that have performed at Doudna include: Thodos Dance Chicago and the Zepher Dance Ensemble.

Carrie Hanson, the group’s choreographer, worked together with playwright Stuart Flack to create a performance to capture the essence of power and how it is used.

Hanson used the presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson as a lens to look at the use of power broadly, according to the performance’s press release.

During the 1960s, Johnson was said to truly want power during his term as president. This display not only helped his political career, but aided in pushing legislation such as the Civil Rights Act and the Medicare Bill.

“It isn’t a dance presentation about (Lyndon B. Johnson)’s presidency,” Crews said. “It’s using his presidency as a metaphor in a contemporary dance piece.”

“Power Goes” is a performance for anyone who enjoys the art form of dance and the athleticism of modern dance, and it even appeals to people who appreciate history, according to the press release.

Before the group’s performance, there will be a pre-show presentation by Michael Kramer, a visiting history professor from Northwestern University and the dramaturge for the dance group.

Kramer will be leading the presentation “How To Get Power: The Seldoms Dance with LBJ,” at 6:30 p.m. in the Doudna Lecture.

“Power Goes” was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with funding from both the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and with support from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Tickets for “Power Goes’” are $15 for general audience members, $12 for seniors and $7 for students.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]