Women’s tennis team splits dual matches over weekend

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

Grace Summers, a freshmen, practices a serve at the Darlings Courts Tues. March 31, 2015
File Photo

The Eastern women’s tennis team split two matches over the weekend at Darling Courts in Charleston.

The Panthers earned a win against fellow Ohio Valley Conference opponent Murray State, but fell to Missouri Valley Conference opponent St. Louis.

Eastern opened the morning with a 4-3 win over Murray State, who ended the Panthers season last year in the conference tournament.

Junior Kelly Iden started the Panthers off with a win over Megan Blue of Murray State 6-3, 3-6,10.

Sophomore Grace Summers defeated Hailey Morgan in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. Senior Ali Foster continued her hot stretch from last season and defeated Alina Schibol 6-2, 6-2.

Freshman Abby Carpenter was able to pick up a win in the six spot for Eastern after she defeated Suzaan Stoltz 6-1.

Senior Hannah Kimbrough and freshman Srishti Slaria were both defeated in their matches and were the only two Panthers to lose.

Eastern lost the doubles point after Iden and Foster were defeated by Patton and Morgan 6-3.

The Panther duo of Summers and Kimbrough defeated Amina Hadzic and Blue, 6-4.

Stoltz and Schibol defeated junior Kamile Stadalninkaite and Slaria.

In the second match of the day Saturday, the Panthers were defeated by St. Louis 5-2.

The Panthers were defeated in four of the six singles matches. Only Foster and Summers were able to pick up wins.

The duo of Summers and Kimbrough picked up a win in a doubles match for the Panthers.

Eastern will next play at the Southern Illinois Fall Tournament in Carbondale on Oct. 10.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]