90s ROCFest kicks off with bingo

Alex Seidler, Staff Reporter

Kendall Barnes, a sophomore Kinesiology major plays bingo during ROCfest in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union on Monday. When asked about the bingo game Barnes replied, “It’s getting intense!”
Josh Saxton

Gamers across campus waited for the chance to win a prize as the Residence Hall Association, or RHA, kicked off their Residents On Campus Fest with Bingo Monday.

Prizes for winners included board games, DVDs, a T-shirt, a skateboard, gift cards and other toys.

Morgan Blackmore Illinois/National Communication Coordinator for RHA, said before the event started she was really excited to see how many people would show up.

“I hope people go to all the other events for the rest of the week,” Blackmore said.

Freshman pre-nursing major, Rachel Gower said she was pumped and it would be a good learning experience.

The students who won prizes either won a round of Bingo or had their ticket called during a raffle.

Freshman undecided major Whitney Jones said she also enjoyed being at the event with everyone; Jones was also one of the prizewinners.

“It was fun, nice, small and sweet,” Jones said.

Anthony Aldridge, a junior recreation administration major and prizewinner, said it was exciting to be involved in the event.

“It’s nice that this organization is able to bring us together and in a competitive way,” Aldridge said.

Kaelene Goettelmann, a freshman biological sciences major and winner of “Life” the board game, said it feels great to win a prize and be at the event.

The winning objectives changed at times from ordinary Bingo to four corners to having three diagonals to having a complete black board.

Ethan Cunningham, a junior engineering cooperative major and winner of a skateboard, said he was also glad to be part of the event.

Sarah Bergin, freshman pre-business management and winner of DVDs and popcorn, said she was excited to go back to her dorm with her prizes.

“I can’t wait to watch ‘Land Before Time’ with my roommates,” Bergin said.

Joe Boise, first year graduate student in biological sciences and winner of a Taco Bell gift card, said it was fun for him to play with different people on campus.

“I enjoyed it because I’m here with people from different classes and majors and to win anything makes it fun,” Boise said.

RHA president Rachel Johnson, said she was pleased with the turnout.

“You could feel the suspense in the room and everyone seemed to love the prizes,” Johnson said.

Alex Seidler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]