Deltas to help students take on life after college

Torri Griffith, Staff Reporter

Students who need help deciding what to do after college can get input at a forum presented by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.

“Take H.E.E.D Furthering Your Education” will be at 6:13p.m. in Lumpkin Hall auditorium in room 2020. The Deltas will be giving students insight on what to do and how to prepare for life beyond college, Tuesday.

Shavon Francis, the president of Delta Sigma Theta, said although “Take Heed” is an annual event, each year the forums topic changes. She said the goal of this forum is to inform college students on what to expect after graduating.

“It is important to do it now because you do not want to be in your last semester and you don’t know what to expect,” Francis said. “You will need preparation (and) planning ahead, it is better to know what do now than to go into the real world and not know what to expect.”

The event will bring awareness and information to the students on campus with the targeting audience being juniors and seniors, who are near graduation.

Francis said the event is geared toward upperclassmen, she believes that freshman and sophomores can benefit from the forum as well by knowing what to do early, so they wont be unprepared in the upcoming years.

Kelsey Hosea, the treasurer of Delta Sigma Theta, said the event was inspired by students who were graduating with concerns on how to prepare for the workforce after college.

“With so many people competing for jobs after graduation, this event promotes an early start for your job search, “ Hosea said.

Through the event, students will also know about the resources on campus that can assist with job searching like the career center, Hosea said.

Hosea said the event would help with unanswered questions students may have, as well as tips on becoming an entrepreneur.

The forum is set up for students to voice their opinions on the various topics and students are expected to have an open mindset; they are also encouraged to talk about any concerns about what steps to take after graduating.

Francis said all those who are attending this event should actively participate to gain more knowledge.

Torri Griffith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]