Booth story times: Curiosity Day first of its kind

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

For the first time in 13 years, the Booth library now has an event to introduce kids and their families to the story telling program.

Jeanne Goble, the senior library specialist at Booth library, said the idea for the event was to help introduce Booth library story time programs to the Charleston community.

“This is our first time, and we hope to do it every fall as an introduction to our story time programs,” Goble said.

The event happened to fall on Curiosity Day, an observation celebrating Curious George, a popular children’s book series.

“It originated in Boston Public Library, but it seems lots of libraries, schools and bookstores are doing this as well,” Goble said.

Goble said during Saturday’s event, all the childrens’ activities were centered on Curious George.

“(We’re) planning activities around Curious George,” Goble said. “We’re encouraging kids to explore and to read and just try doing different things, and we like them to try using the collection and their parents too.”

“Every fall and spring semester, we do story times. We do at least six a semester,” Goble said. “This particular event seemed like a very good beginning to start off our story themes events.”

Goble said since Curious George is a classic children’s book series, most of the kids in attendance have experience with curiosity and exploration through Curious George.

David Cook II and his daughter, Opal Cook, attended the event because Cook’s wife heard about it and thought it would be nice to attend.

David Cook II and his daughter, Opal, 2 make a monkey puppet during Curiosity Day, on Saturday in Booth Library. Curiosity Day recognized the 70th anniversary of Curious George.
Josh Saxton

“I think it’s great to have all the different things to play with,” Cook said. “I think it’s great that they have so many options here for kids.”

Cook said his daughter was very curious about all the stuffed animals and the puppets available for the kids to play with.

Cook said his daughter was really looking forward to making her own monkey puppet.

Cook said it’s nice the children have a lot to do, and that it’s great Booth library picked a theme that kids could explore.

“We have other story times coming up with various student groups from campus,” Goble said. “There’s a lot of stuff planned. There will be a theme for each one.”

Goble said on Halloween, Jemmie Robertson, a music professor, is having a musical program for the kids, and would encourage them to be in Halloween costumes. There will even be a petting zoo.

“Next spring, we have a spring opening that will coincide with the English department’s Lions In Winter program,” Goble said. “So we’re having a famous children’s illustrator author, Jan Spivey Gilchrist, come in.”

Goble said that, when Gilchrist comes in the spring, the program will take a look at some of her literature works.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]