McInerney finishes second at ISU Invite

Chynna Miller

The Men’s Cross Country team start off the race September 5, 2014 on the Panther Trail. The team took 2nd place at the EIU Walt Crawford race.

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

Eastern men’s cross country junior Riley McInerney placed second Friday night at the Country Financial Illinois State Invitational.

McInerney finished with a time of 24 minutes and 41.7 seconds in the 8K course. This comes last week after McInerney finished in first place at the EIU Walt Crawford Invite.

Junior Paxson Menard finished 17 seconds behind McInerney for second on the team for Eastern. Menard finished with a time of 24:58.7.

Red-shirt senior Joe Calio finished with a time of 25:15.5, which was good enough for 14th place overall.

Illinois State won the men’s side with a team score of 79. Iowa finished in second place with a team score of 80. Loyola-Chicago finished with a team score of 84 for the men’s side and placed third.

As a team, the Panthers finished in fourth place with 97 points.

On the women’s side as a team, the Panthers placed in sixth place with a team score of 116.

Sophomore Maria Baldwin finished 12th place with a time of 18:14.6 in the 5K course.

Junior Ivy Handley finished with a time of 18:24.6, and junior Emily Brelsboard finished with a time of 18:28.9.

Loyola-Chicago won the invite for the women’s side. Illinois State placed second, while Illinois placed third.

The Panthers will be back in action Oct. 2 at the Notre Dame Invitational at the Notre Dame Golf Course in South Bend, Ind.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].