Women’s soccer looks to continue winning momentum

Elias Albert, Staff Reporter

Freshman Kate Olson runs alongside IPFW's Paityn Fleming during the Panthers' 3-1 victory on Sept. 4 at Lakeside Field.
Freshman Kate Olson runs alongside IPFW’s Paityn Fleming during the Panthers’ 3-1 victory on Sept. 4 at Lakeside Field.

After picking up their first win of the season on Friday, the Eastern women’s soccer team will look to make winning a trend as they host Bowling Green State University at 3 p.m. on Friday.

Eastern will look to build off of their win over Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne, which coach Jason Cherry was happy to see.

“We’re progressing,” Cherry said. “We’re implementing the things that we’re working on.”

The team scored three goals in its win over IPFW, which was more than the two they had scored in every game combined to that point.

Defensively, the team allowed just two goals in their two games last weekend, compared to the 12 they’d allowed during the previous four games.

Cherry hopes that it can all come together and result in another win for his team, which underwent some lineup adjustments prior to their last series of games.

These changes include moving senior midfielder Molly Hawkins and senior forward Hannah Miller to different positions and bringing freshman midfielders Kate Olson and Brook Munroe to the starting lineup.

“They’ve worked out great so far,” Cherry said. “We hope that can keep working at this pace. It could help us win some games down the stretch here.”

Hawkins has scored a team leading four goals since Cherry implemented her position change as compared to the one goal she scored prior.

Miller also had an impact by scoring a goal.

“They’re doing whatever it takes to help the team,” Cherry said. “You really can’t ask for much more than that.”

Cherry mentioned he has also moved sophomore midfielder Ali Carlson around from time to time.

Carlson has seen time in her usual center-mid position, but she’s also seen time further up the field.

The lineup should remain the same for the time being, according to Cherry.

“I think we’ll just try to clean up the things that we do,” Cherry said. “We’re just trying to develop a stronger identity and execute a bit more.”

Cherry said that his team played well enough to beat Indiana State, but came up just short on the road. He’d like to see his team use the same intensity that they showed last weekend in their upcoming games.

When it comes to the game against BGSU, Cherry just wants to see more improvement from his team.

Cherry is preparing his team for BGSU’s 4-3-3 attack and a roster that just beat Division-II University of Findlay 4-0.

‘They’re a MAC school, so that’ll test us quite a bit,” Cherry said. “It’ll tell us where we’re at to this point.”

Eastern will try to improve their record to 2-4-1 and BGSU will look to get to 2-1.

Elias Albert can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].