Student government votes on ice cream bar, approves RSO

Analicia Haynes, Staff Reporter

The Student Government voted to pass funding for an ice cream bar and approved a new RSO in the Arcola-Tuscola room in the Martin Luther King Jr University Union Wednesday night at the first official Student Government meeting.

The ice cream bar was part of an emergency legislation that took place at the meeting.

After being sworn into office and taking their seats, the student senators voted to pass the bill, which asked for a release of $221.40 to be used towards an ice cream bar at the Premiere the Prez event expected to take place Tuesday. A 10-percent discount on the ice cream bar encouraged senators to pass the bill.

Stephen Simpson, the student Vice-President for Academic Affairs, advertised the event and said that co-sponsors typically fund events such as this.

However, they were too late to ask sponsors for donation.

Simpson authored the bill and said the ice cream bar and other luxuries the bill encompasses such as cookies and lemonade are essential because they will get students to come to the event.

The event will connect the student community with the president, give students a chance to talk with him regarding concerns about the campus and create personal connections according to the bill.

In a unanimous vote, the bill was passed.

Shirmeen Ahmad, the student body president, said that it will be relaxing for the students and a great opportunity to get to know the president.

Senators were also encouraged by Simpson to bring their friends to the event in the hopes to improve student involvement on campus.

Senators also agreed to approve the Sword Fighters Guild as a registered student organization and were introduced to the goals stated in the executive reports.

Ahmad, introducing the executive reports, informed senators of the list of goals focused on expanding the “It’s On Us” campaign.

The campaign is aimed toward preventing sexual assault on campus and taking action against it.

The goal is to meet with other diversity leaders to stop sexual assault and spread the word of the campaign by making more videos promoting it.

With the first home football game against Illinois State University Saturday, September 19 just around the corner, Ahmad told senators that student participation at the game is needed.

Senators are encouraged to spread the word and recruit as many students wearing blue to attend.

“We want everyone wearing blue,” said Ahmad to promote the game.

Among other things, senators were urged to apply for committee chairs and are expected to be placed in their desired committees by next week. They were also encouraged to sign up for the Student Action Team.

The Student Action Team is a lobby that is sent to Springfield to promote Eastern and discuss the campus’ concerns.

Because it was the first official meeting, senators were still reminded on how meetings are conducted and what is expected of them for the rest of the year.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]