Eastern continues assistance with supportive services

Sydney Edwards, Copy Editor

Students who may have difficulties transitioning into the college lifestyle can find assistance from services provided on campus.

One of the places students can visit on campus is the Student Success Center that is located in Ninth Street Hall.

Brian Gorman, the assistant director of the Student Success Center, said it is the “go-to-place” for students to get connected to other places such as the disability center.

“We are all things regarding academic skills,” Gorman said. “We offer 30-minute workshops, in the fall semester, for quick and easy tips.”

The workshops include a variety of topics such as organization, study and note taking skills. They also offer one on one time for students to meet with staff members and get the academic attention they need.

Another resource center on campus, located in Ninth Street Hall, is the TRiO Student Support Services. TRiO is a place for students to go for their academic needs, financial counseling and a place for someone to read over a resume or to help with an interview.

Lynn Griesemer, an office support specialist for TRiO said, “We foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of low-income and first-generation college students and/or college students with documented disabilities.”

Students that come to TRiO can have access to some of their technology and are offered assistance with internships as well.

“We have a private computer lab with limited free printing. Students can use our copier, scanners and fax machine. We also have academic and housing scholarships available,” Griesemer said.

TRiO also has support services for freshmen.

Griesemer said freshman often have difficulty acquiring the study skills they need to be successful at a university.

They even offer assistance in improving study skills and time management skills.

They are there to make sure their semester and school year goes by the smoothest it can Griesemer said.

“(TRiO can help students with) finding out the goals that the students have for themselves and helping them to reach their full potential,” Griesemer said.

Sydney Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]