Tuesday’s standoff surprises community members

Katie Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Updated: 1:11 a.m. 4/23/2015

David Slightom a 34-year-old Charleston man, was arrested on a pre-trial violation warrant during a standoff that took place Tuesday at 400 W. Pierce Ave.

Slightom was originally charged with three counts of reckless conduct with intent to cause bodily harm, one count of battery with intent to cause bodily harm, and one count of criminal damage of property totaling $300 – $10,000.

His status hearing has been reset to 9 a.m. May 11 in courtroom no. 1.

The incident drew in a crowd and startled Charleston residents on their morning commutes.

Lisa Taylor and Tiffany Bontempes of Charleston were on their regular morning walk when they spotted armed members of the Crisis Response Team circling a house across the street from Ace Hardware.

The women’s pace quickened and they grew frightened by the number of armed officers at the crime scene – a sight they said was unusual in Charleston.

“Oh my God. What is going on,” Bontempes said. “This is not what I’m used to seeing in Charleston. We walk every morning.”

Crystal Glik had a similar reaction, although her concern was for the safety and wellbeing of her husband and children.

Crystal Glik drove by the house where she said her husband David Glik, was staying when she noticed the police vehicles Tuesday.

“I’ve been trying to tell him to come home and be with his family,” she said. “He’s just staying with a friend. I don’t even really know these people.”

Crystal Glik said her husband was not on probation during the time of the standoff, which resulted in five individuals suspected of possessing weapons and narcotics being taken in for questioning and one official arrest.

Officials refused to identify the individuals taken into custody.

The CRT arrived at the home early Wednesday morning to make contact with high-priority individuals, Steven Kelly, the director of court services said.

A drug task force notified the CRT that the individuals might have been in possession of weapons and narcotics. When CRT members knocked on the door and heard several voices, but no one in the residence answered, the local police and sheriff’s departments were called for assistance.

Two individuals exited the home after CRT members requested over a loud speaker for anyone in the residence to come out. Four additional individuals were escorted out of the house when the CRT decided it was necessary for public safety that they enter.

Kelly said the house’s occupants were apprehended and interviewed for more information.

“The CRT team made entry after that six occupants were escorted out of the house and are being interviewed in investigation to further this going forward,” he said.

Before entering the home during the about six-and-a-half hour standoff, the CRT obtained a search warrant based off the residents’ suspicious behavior.

“They did an outstanding job taking their time and I believe that was why there was no incident of anyone getting hurt on either side,” he said.

Katie Smith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].