Track & Field teams set records at Illinois Twilight

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men and women’s track and field teams had three first-place finishes last weekend at the Illini Twilight meet.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team set a new school record with their time of 39.79 seconds. They finished second to Illinois, who was hosting the event. The women’s team won the 4×100-meter relay with a time of 45.95 seconds.

The men’s 4×400-meter relay team had a top-three finish with a time of 3 minutes, 15.97 seconds. In the men’s sprints, sophomore Jamal Robinson and junior Christian Ilunga-Matthiesen placed second and third in the 100-meter dash, respectively.

Robinson and Ilunga-Matthiesen also took sixth and seventh in 200-meter dash, respectively. Derek Williamson posted a top-ten finish in the men’s 400-meter dash with a final time of 49.11 seconds.

Senior Ephraim Dorsey won the men’s 800-meter run with his time of 1:50.78. He now ranks eighth all time in school history with that time. Junior Kristen Paris took second in the 800-meter run for the women. Her time was 2:10.24.

Junior Dhiaa Dean won the women’s 400-dash with her run of 55.31 seconds. She now ranks fifth all-time on Eastern’ top-ten list. Eastern had three top-three finishes in the hurdles. Senior Katie Ryan placed second in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.87 seconds. The time gives her the third best time in school history.

In the women’s 400-meter hurdles, junior Amina Jackson came in third with her time of 1:01.70. Red-shirt senior Danny Trevor took third in the same event for the men with a time of 52.86 seconds.

In the field events, red-shirt senior Aviance King came in third in the men’s high jump with a leap of 6-6 1/4 inches. Sophomore Kendall Williams earned two second-place finishes in the sand jumps. He was second in the long jump with a jump of 22-9 1/4 and second in the triple jump with a mark of 45-2 1/2.”

Sophomore Aaron Fullerton claimed third in the triple jump by clearing 45-10.” For the women, freshman Haleigh Knapp came in third place in the high jump with her mark of 5-4 1/2.” Freshman Maria Baldwin placed second in the 5,000-meter race for the women with a time of 17:16.90. That puts her at fourth on the all-time list.

The women’s team placed third out of 11 Division-I schools. The men finished second out of ten schools. Western Michigan placed first in women’s team rankings and host Illinois won first for the men.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]