LASO to host largest their largest fundraiser of year 

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Latin American Student Organization will be hosting their largest fundraiser of the year titled “Fiesta Latina” at 11 a.m. Saturday April 25 in the Great Hall of Pemberton Hall.

Matthew Wilkie, the vice president of LASO, said Fiesta Latina is an annual fundraising celebration of the Latino culture that aims to spread the Latino culture to campus and the surrounding community.

Fiesta Latina is LASO’s biggest fundraiser because it aims to appeal to the biggest audience.

“All of the funds will go directly to our organization so that we can continue spreading Latino culture in the future,” Wilkie said.

Wilkie said students would have a number of activities to partake in, including catered food from Los Potrillos and music. Live performances, which are new to the event this year, will be from the Folkloric Dancers and the EIU Dancers.

Wilkie said the organization will have giveaway prizes and LASO would also be awarding its annual scholarship to one of its exemplary general body members.

“Because Eastern has such a small Latino population, students do not have many opportunities to really experience the Latino culture. That’s what LASO aims to do,” Wilkie said,  “It aims to instill in the Eastern campus a deeper understanding and appreciation for the culture of Latin America, and Fiesta Latina will help make that happen.”

Wilkie said the goal of the event is to celebrate the Latino culture and to give people a chance to learn more about LASO, especially if they are not already familiar with it. He said through the event, they hope to help get LASO’s name out there and increase membership in future semesters.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].