Graduation: the commencement of life

Kevin Hall, Assistant Photo Editor

As May 9 slowly approaches, with each day that passes I can’t help but feel a slight twist in my gut every day.

The day that many consider to be a day manifested from hard work, dedication and ambition—I can’t help but look at as a day of change, transition and a hint of pessimism.

I mean, I can’t say that I’m not totally excited to be graduating, but I can definitely say that certain perspectives cause me to be a tad bit apprehensive about this momentous occasion.

Never in my life has “so what’s next?” been such an offensive question.

I don’t think I become offended because I am feeling attacked but merely because no matter how many times I’ve heard the question in the last several months, I’ve yet to come up with a concrete answer. Sure, I have an idea as to what I want to do after I graduate, but who’s to say the universe will reciprocate that energy?

For the last 18 years of my life, school has provided me with a foundation in which not only I could lay my educational foundation, but it has also provided me with the social skills essential to life. 

Outside of family of course, school was my first encounter with social interaction, and I feel it has been essential to my growth and development.

From primary school until now, I have managed to keep the exact same perception of school.

To me it has always been an institution to educate and progress society, but it is up to the society as a whole how they decide to incorporate education and school systems.

With my undergraduate schooling coming to an end, I can’t help but wonder if I’ve taken as much as possible away from school at this point.

Come May 9, I won’t just be walking across a stage to signify the completion of my undergraduate year, but it will be me graduating into my own life.

No longer will school serve as the purpose of my productivity, and I don’t know whether to be relieved or concerned about this fact.

Granted, I could always go ahead and enroll right back in school and go to graduate school, but for some reason that idea makes me feel as though I lose.

After participating in three graduations in my life thus far, I can’t help but feel as though this is the one. The one that will define me for years to come and I can’t help but question how I even got here.

Five years ago I would have never saw myself anticipating this day so anxiously. But now, add a few more credit hours and a tad bit grayer hair on my head, and I’m cap and gown ready.

I guess more than anything, I am a bit star-struck by the future transitions that will soon take place in life, but more than anything I am ready to elevate myself as well as those around me.

Kevin Hall is a senior journalism  major and he can be reached at [email protected].