Women’s golf prepares for Indiana State Invitational

Blake Nash, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s golf will compete in their final regular season tournament on Saturday, as the Panthers travel to Terre Haute, Ind. for the Indiana State Spring Invitational.

The tournament will be held Saturday through Monday, and is Eastern’s last tournament before the Ohio Valley Conference tournament next week.

The Panthers finished fifth in their last tournament out of 11 teams at the Southern Illinois Saluki Invitational. Freshman Annie Getzin secured her second consecutive 8-over-par performance, and tied for sixth place with 160 strokes for the tournament.

It was her second consecutive Top 10 finish, as the Jasper, Ind. native finished tied for 8th place at the previous tournament at Butler. She ended that tournament with 158 strokes and a 16-over-par performance.

Getzin has competed in 15 rounds this season, and has averaged 82.20 strokes per round.

Sophomore Alexandra Pickens and senior Tiffany Wolf followed Getzin with Top 30 finishes at Southern Illinois. Both finished in 23rd and 27th place, respectively. Pickens, who had 167, finished with two less strokes than Wolf, who had 169.

Pickens has finished in the Top 30 twice this season, while Wolf has had four.

Pickens has averaged 86.36 points per round this year, and has competed in 14 rounds. She has totaled 1,209 strokes this year, and carries an average of 88.50 strokes per game in her career. Her finish at the Saluki Invitational was her bestt finish of the season.

Wolf’s highest finish also came at Southern Illinois, but it came during the fall season. At the Southern Illinois Fall Shootout she finished tied for 17th place with 158 strokes. She finished 14-over-par that tournament.

This weekend’s tournament will be held at the 36-hole Terre Haute Country Club. Several teams from the Missouri Valley Conference will be competing including: Bradley, Loyola, Drake, Southern Illinois-Carbondale, and Northern Iowa.

Non-conference teams include Eastern, William Woods University (MO) and Dayton.

Temperatures are expected to hover from the mid-60s to 70 degrees throughout the tournament, with only a 10 percent chance of rain on Monday.

Eastern will have six days off after the tournament before the OVC championship begins on April 19th. It will conclude on April 22nd at the Hampton Cove Golf Course in Huntsville, Ala.

Blake Nash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].