Getzin leads Panthers to top-5 finish

Blake Nash, Staff Reporter

For the second consecutive week, Eastern freshman Annie Getzin finished in the top 10 for the women’s golf team.

She finished the Southern Illinois Saluki Invitational sixth with a score of 160, while she and the rest of the Panthers also found their way to a solid finish, finishing fifth in the 11 team tournament.

Getzin was the only Panther to finish in the top-10 out of the 62 competitor field with her second consecutive 8-over par performance.  She scored a stroke total of 80 in both two rounds of the Saluki Invitational.

Sophomore Alexandra Pickens and senior Tiffany Wolf followed Getzin with respective ties for 23rd and 27th place. Both Pickens and Wolf improved their stroke total after one day of play, with Wolf finishing with nine less strokes and Pickens shooting three less strokes on Monday.

Pickens finished with 167 points, while Wolf finished with 169 to lead the Panthers as part of Eastern’s first top-five finish of the spring. Eastern had a team total of 669 in the tournament.

Freshman Anne Bahr and sophomore Chloe Wong rounded out the Panthers scoring, finishing tied for 34th and 48th place, respectively. Bahr finished with a score of 173, trimming her first round stroke total by 13. Wong followed with score of 180, including an improvement of 16 strokes after the first round on Sunday.

Eastern improved their stroke total by 25, and scored a total of 347 on Sunday.

Southern Illinois-Carbondale won their home tournament with 636 total strokes. Junior Mattie Lindner led all players and her team with a score of 150. Ohio Valley Conference member Southern Illinois-Edwardsville finished second in the team competition and had two players finish second and third in the tournament.

Junior’s Molly Marcum and Alison Gorman led all Cougar players with 155 and 156 total strokes, respectively. They were the only members of their team to finish in the top five.

Third place was won by the SIU-Carbondale “B” team that finished with 653 strokes, overall. They were led by freshman Hannah Netisinga, who tied for 11th place with 161 strokes.

Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne University took fourth place with 665 strokes. Senior Allison Curtis and junior Brenna Sherwood led the team with 164 strokes, apiece. Both Curtis and Sherwood tied for 13th place. Two other teammates were within five strokes of that duo.

Nebraska-Omaha junior Kathryn Kesti and freshman Morgan Kukla of Iowa rounded out the Top-Five in individual scoring, finishing tied for fourth with 157 points.

The Panthers will next compete at the Indiana State Spring Invite on April 11-13 at the Terre Haute Country Club.

Blake Nash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]