Gaskey, Racers shutout Panthers

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

Murray State senior pitcher CheyAnne Gaskey pitched a complete game shutout in the Racers win over the Eastern softball team.

The Racers defeated the Panthers, 4-0, Monday at Williams Field in the final game of a three-game series.

The Panthers did win the first two games of the series Sunday.

Freshman Michelle Rogers was on the mound for the Panthers after pitching nine innings on Sunday and allowing only one earned run.

Rodgers shut out the Racers the first two innings but allowed one earned run on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings pitched.

Rogers came in with a 5-6 record with a 4.05 ERA on the year and 72 2/3 innings pitched.

Murray State got two runs in the third inning after sophomore infielder Jessica Twaddle singed down the right field line, which scored junior scored Erica Howard.

Racer sophomore Jocelynn Rodgers hit a sacrifice fly to right field, which scored senior Mo Ramsey.

Both runs were unearned after Panther junior first baseman committed a throwing error.

Murray State got its other two runs after Twaddle doubled to left center field, scoring Ramsey. Also, Rodgers had a RBI-groundout.

Fellow freshman Jessica Wireman came in for relief of Rogers and would finish the final 2 2/3 innings on the mound.

Wireman gave up one run on one hit. She also struck out three and walked three Racer hitters.

Eastern coach Angie Nicholson was happy with how both Rogers and Wireman performed despite the loss.

“I just wish we would have been able to support them both defensively and offensively,” Nicholson said. “They did good, and they did good enough to win.”

The Panthers offense was able to get five hits in the game but weren’t able to drive any in. They also made two errors in the field that allowed to runs to score.

Senior Bailey O’Dell, freshman right fielder Andrea Roberts, Bennett, sophomore designated player Ashlynne Paul and junior third baseman Haylee Beck were the five Panthers contributing to the offense.

Junior center fielder April Markowski and senior catcher Hannah Cole both were walked in the game. Markowski later stole her team leading fourth base on the year. Paul also got hit by a pitch in the fifth inning.

The loss to the Racers will help the Panthers prepare for future games that they will play, Nicholson said.

“We’ve got to stay hungry at all times,” Nicholson said. “We cannot take anything for granted and we have to make adjustments quicker at the plate.”

Despite Monday’s loss and not being able to sweep the series, Nicholson was happy with how they team played and got two out of the three wins.

“I feel good, but I think we could get three,” Nicholson said. “I think that’s what we need to realize and focus on is not settling for two but wanting three.”

The Panthers will be off until Friday when they take on Tennessee Tech in a doubleheader and then Jacksonville State in a doubleheader on Saturday.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].