Wind Symphony to raise scholarship funds for music majors

Stephanie White, Entertainment Editor

Students are going to use their talent of playing music to fellow students and faculty to raise money for a scholarship campaign that aims toward music majors.

Eastern’s Wind Symphony and friends will be performing 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Doudna Fine Arts Center in the Dvorka Concert Hall to raise money for the Early Boyd Concert Band Scholarship Campaign.

Alicia Neal, the director of bands, said the funds raised will directly benefit students in the music program.

“Everything we are doing at this concert is to raise scholarship money for Eastern music students,” Neal said. “Every dime from ticket sales goes directly toward the campaign fund.”

Dan Crews, director of patron services in Doundna, said the concert will feature various works by the well known American composer and pianist George Gershwin.

He said Gershwin was one of the most significant American songwriters in the 20th century.

“His melodies are widely known for popular stage and screen, as well as classical and jazz compositions,” Crews said.

There will also be a performance by Jonathan Bowman, a music professor and a piano instructor.

Neal said Bowman will put on a great performance.

“When the audience hears Dr. Bowman’s performance they are going to be blown away,” she said.

“Jonathan is a graduate of the Eastman School of Music and he is a brilliant pianist. For those who haven’t heard him play, they shouldn’t miss this concert,” she said.

People who attend will also see a performance by guest and former Eastern College of Arts and Humanities Associate Dean, vocalist Patty Poulter, play the Gershwin sing “Someone to Watch Over Me.”

Crews said the performance will also feature a medley of songs by Robert Russell Bennett, who was the principle arranger for many of Gershwin’s Broadway Shows.

Tickets for the Gershwin Gala Concert are $12 for general audience members, $10 for seniors, and $5 for students. Tickets can be purchased at the Doudna ticket office or online at their website.

Stephanie White can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].