Students react to new bar regulations

Cassie Buchman, City Editor

The new bar regulations got students talking about the effect on house parties and helping businesses make more money.

New ordinances will allow bars to be open for an hour later on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. 

These ordinances also dictate that any employers serving or distributing alcohol must provide stricter training for their employees on how to check for fraudulent IDs and dealing with patrons who had too much to drink.

Reasons for the longer hours included reducing the amount of house parties on campus and to encourage people to stay in Charleston, rather than go to cities with later bar hours.

JaLisa Smith, a junior psychology major, said the new bar hours may possibly encourage people to go to the bars more, since people would get to stay there longer.

“(There is) a more controlled environment in the bar instead of a house party,” Smith said. “Staying open would be better.”
Smith said she did not think the bars would stop the house parties completely, though.

“I’m involved in Greek Life, (and) even if fraternities or sororities see that bars are closed later, they’re still going to keep going with the house parties,” she said.

Smith said stricter training of employees to check IDs could help stop minors from sneaking into bars.

Jordan Knuth, a junior geology major, said the bars being open later would “help make a better profit,” but may put students in danger.
“For students, if they’ve been drinking until nine, that’s more alcohol you’ve consumed, and it’s more of a danger to them. If they really do start checking IDs and cutting people off, they shouldn’t have a problem,” she said. “Some students do not know enough is enough, and having another hour where you could consume alcohol could be a danger.”

She said since house parties are mainly “underage kids because they can’t get into the bars,” the house parties will stay as they are, and the bar’s longer hours will not necessarily change that.

Antionette Flowers, a freshman nursing major, said the house parties are still going to happen.

Nia Douglas, a pre-physical therapy major, explained, “parties don’t start until two, anyways.”

On the other hand, Angie Bradley, a graduate student studying college student affairs, said the bar’s new hours of operation “will work” to reduce house parties.

“I don’t think people will want to have parties after the bars close,” she said.

Bradley said people who go out would probably like the new bar hours.

“I don’t think their wallets will be happy though,” she said.

There were several students who thought the new bar regulations would give money back to Charleston.

Andrew Knell, a business administration major, said the new bar regulations would be “good for Charleston.”

“It should have been done sooner,” he said.

Taylor Cook, a junior communications major, said it will help local pizza place Chubby’s get business, and Omar Abdul, a sophomore biology major, said it will give police the opportunity to “give more tickets out.”

Jake Pawlak, a junior recreation administration major, said having stricter ID checking might cost bars a little bit of business, but it might “look better” if they do not let in underage people.

On the topic of stricter ID regulations, both Douglas and Flowers were skeptical.

“I don’t think it’s gonna work out,” Flowers said. “Getting (fake) IDs is so simple.”

“(The fake) is a real ID, just not their own ID,” Douglas agreed.

“You can always have a good idea, it’s just implementing it that is the big step,” she said.

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].