Panthers travel to Morehead State on a high note

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s basketball team is heading into Morehead State on a high after its 68-42 win over Eastern Kentucky on Thursday.

With the Panthers winning its last 4-of-5 Ohio Valley Conference games, and being tied for second in the conference, freshman guard Bh’rea Griffin said the win gives them a ton of confidence.

“We still have to remain focus and win games,” she said. “We can’t let a few wins get to our heads.”

Morehead State is coming off a one-point loss to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Thursday after blowing a 14-point lead with under 12 minutes remaining in the second half.

Edwardsville took the lead, which was their loan lead of the game, on a free throw with 29 seconds to play in the second half.

After the game, Morehead State coach said it was a tough loss to swallow.

“We had a chance to close it out with a big lead but failed to,” Todd said in his press conference following the loss. “When you only get to the free throw line, once its tough to win too. Give SIUE credit though, they have a nice team.”

Eastern coach Debbie Black said she is looking to take advantage of her team being rested and Morehead State having to go down to the wire on Thursday.

“It was really nice to get to play everybody,” she said. “We don’t get many opportunities to do that. I think the team really rallied around the players. To be able to play them means a lot. We should be fresh. I am glad Morehead played a close game. It will be a battle at their place.”

Morehead State is 2-2 in the OVC and is led by Almesha Jones, who is averaging just under 16 points a game.

Along with Jones, the Eagles have three other players averaging over 10 points a game.

Shay Steel averages 14.1, Eriel McKee is averaging 13.5 and Maiki Viela is averaging 10.3 points.

Black thinks Morehead State is a very well-rounded team.

“Morehead has more of team than individual superstars,” she said. “I am looking forward to how we fair against them.”

Eastern guard Grace Lennox said they have to take the positives out of the win on Thursday and take them to Morehead.

“Coach told us that we could run on EKU, so in the second half we put it to work,” she said. “When we get out and run, we are such a better team. I believe it is a key factor to winning this next game as well.”

Eastern and Morehead will tip-off at 3:15 p.m. on Saturday in Morehead, Ky. in Johnson Arena.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].