Student Senate to work with Sexual Assault Taskforce

Stephanie Markham, News Editor

As part of its work with the Sexual Assault Taskforce, Student Senate will be hosting a pledge drive and distributing information during the Health Fair Wednesday.

The Health Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Grand and University ballrooms of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Reggie Thedford, the student body president, said Student Senate would be in one of the ballrooms encouraging students to sign an “It’s On Us” poster.

“It’s On Us” is a national campaign that asks people to pledge to make a personal commitment to help keep women and men safe from sexual assault, as well as promise to be part of the solution rather than a bystander, according to its website.

Thedford said the senate would also be directing people how to take the pledge online, but having students sign the poster in the Union would be a way to give the campaign a physical presence on campus.

He said part of the senate’s goal is to change the mindset of how people look at sexual assault, so that everyone takes responsibility rather than believing the issue only involves the victim and assailant.

“It’s saying I pledge to be aware, and I will help prevent it the best I can, not just be a bystander,” he said.

Thedford said students would be able to pick up information on resources and prevention from the Health Education Resource Center and the Sexual Assault Taskforce.

He said the senate is working with the taskforce on planning events for Sexual Assault Awareness Month next semester in April.

Stephanie Markham can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].