Alphas emulate ‘106 & Park’ with music, discussions

Chynna Miller

Lawrence McMillion, a junior kinesiology and sports studies major, demostrates the “Snake” move during 1906 & Park Live: Meet the Apes Thursday at Phipps Hall in the Physical Sciences Building.

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

The men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity hosted their 1906 & Park – Live Thursday evening, which was part of their Alpha Week.

The Alphas ran the event similarly to Black Entertainment Television’s 106 & Park, which features a countdown of videos from 10 to one; however, they ran their event a little differently with the countdown starting at seven and between the songs they had discussions.

Dimarcko Gray, a graduate student in technology, said the forum’s intent was to inform students through entertainment with an educational discussion.

“If people have fun learning it will stick with them more,” Gray said.

One of the discussion questions asked to the crowd was about their feelings on minimum wage, which garnered many in the audience to mumble negatively.

Hillary Fuller, a junior communication studies major, said she makes more than minimum wage, but it is still not enough as she pays for her own tuition and lives paycheck to paycheck.

“I don’t have enough to do normal college things,” Fuller said.

Fuller, who asked her parents to stop paying for her tuition, said she is also in the process of looking for a second job.

She added in the past they have helped and supported her, but Fuller asked them to stop because of the financial burden.

Between each discussion, one or two music videos were played, which allowed the students in the audience to wave their hands as the Alphas vibed with them.

In order to get the crowd pumped more, Alexis Lambert, a senior psychology major, would tell them to “Turn up.”

When it came to how students feel they were prepared for their future, many students said they were going to their classes, visiting career services as well as seeking internships and networking.

“You can be as smart as you wan to be, but if you don’t have the right connections it’s going to be (difficult),” said Phillip Love, a junior political science major.

Many students said internships were also an important aspect because of the hands-on experiences they learn from the field they want to go into, which can be helped by networking.

“It’s not what you know, but who you know,” Lambert said.

Kendel Fields, a junior health studies major, said his aunt is working in the field he is planning on going into so she allows him to job shadow her.

Discussions such as unemployment and whether college is beneficial because of minimum wage were also topics students spoke about.

Aside from the educational aspect of the forum, the event had a dance battle, the Alphas strolled and did a contest to see who could hold the Alpha pose the longest.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].