Eastern recognized for helping veterans

Mike Ommen, Staff Reporter

U.S. News & World Report has recognized Eastern for its commitment to military veterans.

The magazine’s “2015 Best Colleges” rankings, published annually, list Eastern as the No. 13 “best college for veterans” among Midwestern regional universities. Eastern has the second highest ranking for public universities.

The U.S. News & World Report recognition follows Eastern receiving the Governor’s Award for Excellence in Education, presented two years ago by the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

“Our veterans have nobly served our nation, and we are proud to support them by providing excellent programs and services at EIU to begin or continue their university studies,” said President Bill Perry. “I’m pleased that U.S. News has chosen to recognize those efforts.”

The region consists of universities in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Schools listed in the U.S. News & World Report rankings were described as institutions that participate in federal initiatives helping veterans and active-duty service members to apply for, pay for and complete their degree.

In order for Eastern to be eligible for the list, the university had to be certified by the GI Bill, be a member of the Service-members Opportunity Colleges Consortium and as a public institute, charge in-state tuition, which can be fully covered by the GI Bill, to all veterans applying from out of state.

Eastern offers about 50 majors, and the school of continuing education also allows veterans, active-duty military and non-traditional students the option of receiving academic credit for life and work experiences.

Eastern began charging in-state tuition to student veterans from outside of Illinois in August 2013 after Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law House Bill, “Higher Ed-Military-Tuition.”

Under that legislation, any person using benefits under the federal post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any subsequent variation of that Act, can be considered an Illinois resident for tuition purposes.

The Military Student Assistance Center, which is located in the Thomas Hall basement, assists those who have served, or are currently serving in the U.S Military as well as their family members.

Mike Ommen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].