Eastern prepares for Bright Lights, Blue City

Eastern+prepares+for+Bright+Lights%2C+Blue+City+

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

Homecoming 2014 will feature a wide variety of events for students and alumni of all ages when “Bright Lights, Blue City” takes over Charleston to get Eastern in the panther spirit.

Events for Homecoming begin Monday with a kick-off Homecoming Coronation.

Lori Knoechel, University Board homecoming coordinator, said voting for coronation, which took place Oct. 6 and 7, went well.

We did have some mishaps in the beginning, but it was all figured out rather quickly by the Homecoming team, and fortunately votes ran smoothly after that,” she said.

Coronation will begin at 7 p.m. at McAfee Gym, where the winners for king and queen will be crowned.

“Turn Up the Blue” sidewalk parties will also be taking place all day Monday.  The parties will include spirit table displays, activities and giveaways on the Quad.

These small parties are just set-up games and activities for students to engage in while walking around campus or going to class,” Knoechel said.  “We wanted students to know it was Homecoming week, and what a great way to tell them by giving them fun things to do.”

A Family Fun Night will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in the University Union of the Martin Luther King Jr. Union for students and the Charleston community.  Those attending may participate in bingo, carnival games, inflatable games and prizes.

“Bright Lights, Blue Lanes” will feature free glow-in-the-dark bowling games from 7 to 11 p.m. Wednesday at Eastern’s bowling lanes.

Students and faculty can participate in the free games and food and prizes at the bowling alley.

“Color Me Blue,” will take place from 5 to 6 p.m. Oct. 23 in the South Quad.  Students can celebrate their school spirit by throwing colored powder on one another.

The “Light It Up Blue” pep rally will occur from 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 24 in McAfee Gym.

The pep rally includes games and activities, emceeing by Mike Hightower and Omar Solomon and a performance by the Pink Panthers as well as the annual “Yell Like Hell” competition.

Since Pep Rally is also linked to Yell Like Hell, we will be having fun games and activities during the beginning and the end and also in the breaks for the students to participate in,” Knoechel said.

Various organizations, such as fraternities and sororities, registered student organizations and the Residence Hall Association, compete in “Yell Like Hell,” a cheerleading style competition.

Homecoming weekend will come to a close with an annual parade at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 25 and the Eastern football game against Tennessee State at 1:30 p.m. at O’Brien Field.

Samantha Middendorf can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]